Houseplants are a consolation at this time of year.
I've gone OTT with the streptoes, [not to be confused with steptoes or strep throat] and fed them and coddled them to be at their best through the next few weeks, when the reality of Winter sets in.
|
S. 'Sweet Melys'
|
S.' Adele'
There is only one rule for growing these wonderful plants: only the tiniest bit of water every three or four weeks. Yes, I know it is difficult to keep the watering can at bay when you see the leaves hanging down, but...but... trust me, wait that long before you water, or the plants go mouldy in the blinking of an eye.
And possibly there is a second rule: stick in a specially formulated tablet that looks like an aspirin [ and probably is ], and renew once a month, but of course no feeding during flowering. Golden rule for most plants.
And after all this beauty, a bit of promise;
Today's find is a pot of streplets, i.o.w. young streptocarpus plants from a leaf, fully expanded, off an older plant.
I placed it flat on the top of compost and pinned it down with safety pins, watered the pot and forgot about it.
And look what it has done in my absence:
There must be five new plantlets there.
And the leaf that started it all was from S. 'Sweet Melys'.
Can't wait to see the first flowers.
Mind you, propagation from seed is more exciting, as you never know what you are going to get.
Vegetative propagation is fool proof if you want the identical hybrid.
Seeds are always a toss-up.
I did seed propagation after leaf cuttings, and got one most amazing result for an African Violet {Saintpaulia].
But that story has to wait for another day.
For Nick at Floral Friday and Kim at Friday Finds
also linked with Mosaic monday.
Links below.



Lovely flowers. I like the pink one the best.
ReplyDeleteMy kind of plants...water a bit every 3 to 4 weeks. Really? Tom The Backroads Traveller
ReplyDeleteSo many lovely houseplants you have! The red one is really stunning. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful flowers. It's good to know that they enjoy being left alone most of the time. Beautiful collages.
ReplyDeleteYour indoor garden is wonderful. Great photos and some good advice for us beginners. :)
ReplyDeletesuch pretty vibrant colors! i love them all!
ReplyDeleteGood gracious what lovely plants! They really are quite amazing. I am rubbish at growing plants indoors and am in deep awe of your green fingers. Beautiful, beautiful photos of them too. They really must gladden your house in the dreary dark months of winter. Seriously impressed! Bonny
ReplyDeleteBeautiful...I have never heard of these but I do not have flowers growing inside...I may have to find one of these...
ReplyDeleteYour plants are so healthy looking and you have some pretty flower colours. I knew you could start new African violets with leaves in soil so why not try others?
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.
I used to grow lots of African Violets, but these are so stunning. I am not sure that I have enough good light for them, though. Beautiful photos, too.
ReplyDeletePot plants inside the house can be so rewarding, especially during the dreary Winter days. You definitely have a green thumb, GF. I'm impressed with the "streptlets" :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking part in Floral Friday Fotos, I look forward to your future contributions.